Monday, June 18, 2007

21 Weeks

Baby:
She is continuing to grow and now weighs as much as 1 pound! She is between 7 & 10 inches long or about the size of a large banana. (Weird, I know - but that is what the books say!) Her organ systems are continuing to develop and mature and she now has a fully formed tongue. Her skin is covered in vernix. This is a thick, white, greasy cream that protects her in the wet environment she calls home. Apparently she will have this until week 40 and if born before then will have remnants remaining on her skin. I guess you could call this mother natures' diaper rash prevention...

Mom:
It has been a relatively uneventful week - pregnancy wise anyway. Work has been pretty busy and the baby and I have been visiting a lot of job sites. I have to tell you - one morning I was out on a job site (Newton Rd Water Main) when a lot of different things were going on. I was heading back to my car when all of a sudden I felt her moving around. I've felt it a lot more lately, but it is usually at night or when I am relaxing/sitting... not when I am on the move. It gave me a chance to stop, smile, and remember this amazing thing that is happening inside me no mater what is going on around me! :)

We spent the weekend with the dad-2-be's clan up in Lacrosse, WI. The only complaint I have is driving through so many small towns makes bathroom breaks slightly tough! And I guess I should confess since so many witnessed it - I'm eating like a pig!!! Not only do I eat large meals, but I'm craving sugar like it is going out of style! Fortunately, my fructose intolerance is much more tolerable, allowing me to eat more fruits, veggies, and even sugar. I still stay away from brown sugar, maple syrup, tomatoes and so forth, but give me grapes, strawberries, chocolate or anything gummy and YUMMY!!! :) I've always craved different foods, but this is pure craziness!

Dad:
I had my first Father's Day this past weekend. The baby (through Sarah) bought me a nice Mizuno bag so I can haul my softball stuff to games in style. Other people bought gifts for the baby (like bibs, dolls, and baby shoes) and gave them to me. OK now....let me get this straight.....it's Father's Day, not Baby Day, right? I guess I'm not quite a true father yet, so I'll let it slide THIS year. In all seriousness, I'm very grateful for the gifts that were given to baby and me. Thanks everyone.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Adam-had to laugh at this one as it reminds me of something my mother complained about when I was younger. Now that you are a parent, be prepared to receive items for gifts that are not really gifts. Such as a mom getting a vacuum or other appliance for Christmas or Mother's Day :)