Tuesday, October 23, 2007

39 Weeks - Still Pregnant

Baby:
Well by all medical reports and doctor opinions, she is ready to arrive any day now. She continues to grow about 1/2 pound per week and is now likely 7-8 pounds and over 21 inches long. She is starting to drop into position but still feels the need to wiggle around. Interestingly enough, her heartbeat also sounds more "human-like". Rather than "swoosh-swoosh", it is more like "ba-boom, ba-boom". At today's appointment it was beating between 130 and 140 beats per minute.

Mom:
I am doing pretty good for being 39 weeks pregnant. But to complain just a little - I'm getting very tired, sore, and even more awkward if at all possible. I can feel her dropping and it is putting pressure between my legs making my "lady-like" walk not so lady-like! ;-) Quack-Quack-Quack... But knowing why that is all happening just makes me smile...

We went to the doctor today and she told me I am 2-3 centimeters dilated and fully effaced. I'm not 100% sure what that means, but it sounds like wonderful news! For this being our first child, she said we couldn't be entering labor in any better way. She offered to do something that would possibly expedite labor but I asked her to wait until next week. Since I'm still comfortable enough to work and wander around I can be patient and wait for her... Next week I may not feel so certain of all that! Our doctor said we could go into labor tonight, or it could still be a week or two out - I could walk around for weeks dilated at 3 cm... Amazing thought...

People keep asking if I am scared. Yes - a little. I'm more nervous than scared though b/c I just want to be a good mom. Labor scares me a little b/c I really don't like pain but I can do it. I've recruited this kick a** coach. Some people call him "Oak". Our baby girl knows his voice b/c she literally moves upon command when he talks to her... It is so cute! I think what I am most right now is excited beyond words to simply meet and hold our baby girl. I want to cuddle her. I want to kiss her. I want to feed her. I want to rock her. I want to see what color hair and eyes she has. I want to know if she'll have Dad's nose, Mom's chin, Dad's dimple (I'm hoping she does!), and all that kind of stuff. I want to squeeze and play with her little fingers and toes... Good grief! Patience is not a virtue of mine so I hope she hurries along...

Dad:
Dad is currently typing his thesis. He has been putting a lot of hours towards getting it done before his family expands. I have to admit, he is doing an admirable job of not stressing out (visibly) and taking each day as it comes. And even though he is trying to finish up his doctorate, find a job, and plan our future, his eyes still light up when he talks about his little girl on the way...

Now we wait...

No comments: