Monday, May 21, 2007

17 Weeks

Well we are now at a full 17 Weeks and this is our update:

Baby:
The baby is about 4.5-6 inches long this week, weighing in at about 3.5 ounces. His weight has nearly doubled since 2 weeks ago, with most of this weight comprising of water! He'll start gaining fat tissue this week which will eventually play an important role in the body's heat production and metabolism. The bones and nerve endings of his ears will soon be formed allowing him to hear loud noises like car alarms and music. Shortly after that, he will be able to hear our muffled voices!

Mom:
Well, I'm still getting bigger which seems to be a good sign that the little one is also getting bigger. I'm getting the hang of this new sleeping arrangement (same pillows, just swapped them around) and am only getting up twice during the night to visit the little girl's room! Believe it or not, that is a vast improvement from a month or so ago. If I haven't mentioned it before, a night light in the bathroom is a MUST so you don't wake yourself up too much or stub your toes!

Unfortunately, even I am now noticing my moodiness... It comes and goes and I haven't really figured it out yet. For Adam's sake, I am really trying but I have to give him brownie points b/c he is taking it in stride. I think it helps that he can now see my belly, reminding him that it isn't personal! :)

The BIG thing on our minds now is do we, or do we not find out the sex of the baby. The ultrasound is scheduled for next Tuesday. All along, Adam has wanted to know and I have not. For me, I love surprises and this just seems like the ultimate surprise! But to be honest with everyone, I'm starting to reconsider. For whatever reason, hearing the baby's heartbeat last week, moving from one side to the other made me really want to know if it was a little girl or boy flipping around inside of me... More to come on that one! Oh, and no, I can't feel him or her just yet. :( They say soon... anywhere from now to week 22 the "quickening" should start.

Dad:
I can't think of anything really humorous to report, so I'll just write what's on my mind. Will we find out the sex of the baby? This past weekend was a college buddy's (Brad's) bachelor party. Five of the nine guys present have kids. I asked all of them if they waited to be surprised with a boy/girl at birth or if they found out the sex ahead of time. I was hoping they might have some insight for me...but 2 waited to find out, 2 found out ahead of time, and 1 guy waited with one kid, but not the next...and all were happy with their decisions...didn't help me out much. Personally, I still want to find out so Sarah and I can start preparing ourselves by thinking of names, getting a room ready, etc. I know this could still be done if we didn't know the sex, but I really want to know. More than anything, putting a sex along with knowing you are having a baby just makes it more "real". Maybe we'll just have the doctor write it down so Sarah and I can look at it when we are both ready. Time will tell.

No comments: