Wednesday, August 1, 2007

27 Weeks

Baby:
She is about 2 pounds now and 14.5 inches long. She is moving more rhythmically and frequently. Her immune system is developing along with the further development of her lungs and other important organs.

Mom:
Well I am starting to get big and am now feeling it! I'm still loving to feel her move and am getting excited to be able to hold her and watch her grow. I'm also getting pains in my hips/buttocks that aren't very pleasant. I'm reading that swimming and heating pads can help so I guess I'll get some use out of that maternity swim suit after all! Stretching and the suggested exercises are just not helping.

I woke up a couple nights ago with a horrible leg cramp. (I don't think I've jumped or moved that fast in months.) As I grab my calf to massage it Adam wakes up and asks, "Are you okay?" I explained I was fine, just had a leg cramp and needed to walk (maybe not so eloquently) and soon it had subsided enough to lay back down. That same night I woke up to hit the restroom and while I was doing my thing, Adam stole my body pillow! Since I was not in the mood, I simply stole it back not so nicely and he grunted and rolled over. I'm telling you this for two reasons. The first is to remind me that mother nature is trying her darnedest to prepare me for night-time feedings. The second is to explain that I told Adam these stories the next day and he remembered NONE of it! What is mother nature preparing him for I wonder... Hum...

Dad:
Less than 3 months left until we have our little crying and pooping bundle of joy. Gees, now that I’m thinking about it, I’m less than 3 months away from changing my first diaper. I’m a little nervous about it ever since Jon (Sarah’s dad) gave me a little tidbit of information. He said something along the lines of, “You know…during the first few weeks, you don’t know how something that small can create such a mess. It’s not normal.” Then he gets a smirk on his face and utters the phrase I can’t get out of my head. “It’s kinda like self-leveling cement……gets in all the cracks.” Thanks for the visual Jon.

Besides that, things are pretty going along pretty smooth for me. The same can’t be said for Sarah. I think she might have just hit the down-slope of her pregnancy. She had been feeling great up until about a week ago. Now she is having real trouble getting out of chairs, bed, the car, etc. Just a little grunting and groaning, but nothing too bad from the pain standpoint. But then there is her hip. I don’t know if she has a pinched nerve or what, but it’s really bothering her. Hopefully it’s just a temporary thing, or else it’s going to be a long 3 months.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah -
I have experience with those nasty nighttime leg cramps too. Some say it's the way the baby + extra weight in your stomach affects your nerves when laying down. I don't know about that but several of my girlfriends told me that eating a couple of bananas a day really helps with the leg cramps. I'm not much of a banana fan but thought you might give it a whirl. Or you could always give the old wives' tale a try and put a bar of soap underneath your sheets when you sleep! :)

Terri